UPDATE: Planetary Resources have put up the Press Release as well on their own webpage. Check it out here.
Hello everyone. As a member of Planetary Resources’ (PR) newly formulated team Planetary Community Vanguards, which there’s only 50 of us in total out of the thousands who applied, I’m here to pass around a Press Release by PR to inform you of something absolutely amazing coming everyone’s way very soon! What it is, I cannot say, but I promise it’ll be epic!
So without further adieu, here’s the Press Release:
WHAT: Planetary Resources’ team of engineers who have designed, built and operated spacecraft throughout the Solar System, including all of the recent U.S. Mars landers and rovers, are now developing the most advanced space technology ever and will make it publicly accessible.
A diverse group of supporters, including Virgin’s Sir Richard Branson, actor Seth Green, Star Trek’s Brent Spiner (Data) and Rob Picardo (The Doctor), Bill Nye the Science Guy, futurist Jason Silva, and MIT astrophysicist Dr. Sara Seager, have joined forces with Planetary Resources to make access to space widely available for exploration and research.
On May 29 at 10:00 a.m. PDT in Seattle, and also streaming live, please join Planetary Resources’ Peter Diamandis, Eric Anderson and Chris Lewicki, as they, along with vlogger Hank Green, announce an unprecedented project that will change the way humanity explores the cosmos.
- Gives students, teachers and the public access to the most innovative space observation technology ever built – This technology would have cost US$100M+ to build and launch less than a decade ago; and today, it will be controlled by students around the world to explore the cosmos.
- Offers the opportunity for the public to directly participate in cutting-edge citizen science and discovery – Delivers a resource to thousands of institutions and researchers in need of greater access to space to further their work and rate of scientific discovery.
- Invites the public to participate in Planetary Resources’ asteroid mining mission – Anyone with an interest in space can play a role in opening up the Solar System for human activity.
Wed., May 29, 2013
10:00 a.m. PDT
- Peter H. Diamandis, M.D., Co-Founder & Co-Chairman, Planetary Resources,
- Eric Anderson, Co-Founder & Co-Chairman, Planetary Resources, Inc.
- Chris Lewicki, President & Chief Engineer, Planetary Resources, Inc.
- Hank Green, Internet personality, VlogBrothers
Great Gallery at The Museum of Flight
9404 East Marginal Way South
Seattle, WA 98108
Event will also be streamed online.
Media are invited to attend in-person or view the live stream.
Live stream details for the press will be provided upon request.
Later in the day at 3:30 p.m. PDT an additional live streaming event will occur at the Museum of Flight with Brent Spiner, Hank Green, Chris Lewicki and other Planetary Resources members. This event will be in group discussion format talking about the announcements from earlier in the day. We invite the press and the public both in person and via live stream to attend this event, engage and ask questions. The live stream for this event will be accessible from the following URL.
The above URL will allow access to both events during the day, however all media outlets are required to RSVP with Stacey Tearne for a direct access press link for submitting questions during the morning event.
About Planetary Resources:
Planetary Resources, Inc. was founded in 2009 by Eric Anderson and Dr. Peter H. Diamandis. Their vision is to establish a new paradigm for resource utilization that will bring the Solar System within humanity’s economic sphere of influence. The company will conduct low-cost robotic space exploration beginning with the Arkyd Series of space missions that will identify the most commercially viable near-Earth asteroids. These initial missions will assist the company in enabling the retrieval of raw materials from these select asteroids, including water, precious metals and more.
Planetary Resources is financed by industry-launching visionaries, three of whom include Google’s CEO Larry Page & Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt; and Ross Perot, Jr., Chairman of Hillwood and The Perot Group; who are committed to expanding the world’s resource base so humanity can continue to grow and prosper for centuries to come. Some of the company’s partners and advisors include the Bechtel Corporation; film maker and explorer James Cameron; former Chief of Staff, United States Air Force General T. Michael Moseley (Ret.); and Sara Seager, Ph.D., Professor of Planetary Science and Physics at MIT. For more information, please visit www.planetaryresources.com.